I have a 5-year-old and a 10-year-old and our summers are “busy.” I always try to avoid spending too much unnecessary time in the car, so every year I look at the summer camps and programs offered right here in Ossining. Fortunately, the options have expanded considerably in the last few years, thanks to new arrivals like Theater O and Westchester Dance Artists.
So this year (just like in 2018), I searched high and low and put together this post with a (growing) list of summer camps and programs in Ossining. NOT near it, but in it.
Looking to keep your kids occupied and entertained, avoid a daily drive and support our local businesses? Here’s the list.
1. Theater O
- This year, Theater O is offering 3 different camps:
– Camp of Witchcraft and Wizardry: Housed at the beautiful Bethany Arts Community Campus in Ossining, NY, The Camp of Witchcraft and Wizardry is open to muggles ages 8-14. Staffed by Theater O, the camp explores the magical world through theater, art, music, puppetry, storytelling, games and more.
This creative program will run for four weeks, July 8- August 2. It is for fans of The Boy Who Lived as well as all things fantastical and magical! Campers are sorted into houses, participate in a House Cup Competition complete with Tri-Wizard Challenges in the Forbidden Forest, daily quidditch matches (and, of course, a Quidditch Cup!) all with an artistic bent.
i. Week 1: July 8 – 12
ii. Week 2: July 15 – 19
iii. Week 3: July 22 – 26
iv. Week 4: July 29 – August 2
– Fairy Tale Theater Camp: Each week of camp is devoted to a much loved children’s literature author. Each day participants will create a craft that ties in with the story of the day, act out a story written by the author, learn a song that ties into the story of the day and participate in movement exercises that draw on their imaginations and the story of the day. They will make full use of the extensive Theater O costume and prop collection.
It’s all about make-believe, telling stories using our bodies, voices and imaginations!
For ages 3-5, from 9 to noon, Monday to Friday.
i. July 8-12 Eric Carle Week
ii. July 15-19 Mo Willems Week
iii. July 22-26 Maurice Sendak Week
– August Show Camp is open to school-aged children who want to be in a production! This one-week camp is all about the play Alice in Wonderland. Everyone who attends the camp will be in the show! There are no auditions, casting will be determined by the artistic director before camp begins. Located at Bethany Arts Community, inside and outside time will focus on rehearsals, theater classes, arts and crafts. The camp runs from 9am – 3pm from August 19 through 23. Performances will be held at BAC on August 23 and 24.
* 1 Week: August 19 – 23
2. Teatown Lake Reservation
- Teatown Camp brings kids outside to learn about and explore the natural world in their 1,000-acre preserve. In four two-week sessions, their age-specific activities encourage the spirit of discovery!
Campers catch frogs, collect bugs, climb rocks and explore natural habitats. Kids can discover and enjoy the outdoors via Teatown’s meadows, forests, lakes, and streams.
– Session I: Living Lightly, Animal Behavior
Jul 1 – Jul 12 (9 days–no camp July 4th)
– Session II: Land Stewards, Homes & Habitats
Jul 15 – Jul 26
– Session III: Resource Ranger, Sensory Awareness
Jul 29 – Aug 9
– Session IV: Earth Keepers, Adapt to Survive
Aug 12 – Aug 23
- Age Groups:
DISCOVERERS (4-5 YEAR OLDS)
TREKKERS (6-7 YEAR OLDS)
BUSHMASTERS (8-9 YEAR OLDS)
EARTH STEWARDS (8-12 YEAR OLDS)
CLIFFDALE NATURE GIRLS (8-12 YEAR OLDS)
JUNIOR NATURALISTS (10-12 YEAR OLDS)
EXPLORERS (13-14 YEAR OLDS)
- WHERE: Teatown, 1600 Spring Valley Rd. Ossining, NY
- MORE INFO: Teatown.org/camp/summer-camp/
3. Westchester Dance Artists
- The Westchester Dance Artist Camp includes acting, dance, singing, sports, arts & crafts, stage makeup, costuming performing and so much more.
A Typical Day:
– 9:00 – 11:00 am:
Students arrive at 9:00 am and are welcomed by counselors during their morning circle. Children are split into groups to take classes such as yoga, dance, or hip hop, or to play acting games or sports outside.
– 11:00 – 12:00 pm:
Lunchtime! Students gather either outside or in the air-conditioned studios to enjoy their bagged lunches, hang out with the counselors, and play games.
– 12:00 – 3:00 pm:
Students split into groups based on interest. Some might choose arts and crafts activities, others a breakdancing class! Students may also work on a non-mandatory performance, to be shown to family and friends on Friday at 2:00 pm. Shows are selected by the students – one week, they might do Grease, another week a cabaret performance of pop songs! Counselors work together as a family of teaching artists to provide your child with the best experience possible!
- WHEN: July 1st until August 30th
- WHERE: 157 Main Street, Ossining
- AGES: 5-13
- MORE INFO: Westchesterdance.org/summer.html
4. Mike Risko Music School
- MRM is offering 3 different programs for summer 2019:
– Rock Band Camp: There is no better way to spend a week of the summer than learning to be a rock star and being a part of a real band. From 9-3 Monday-Friday during the weeks of either July 8 or August 19, your child will learn from real musicians, what it is like to be in a rock band. From choosing a name to writing songs, they will be involved in the whole process. Their week will end with a big showcase for friends and family. Backstage passes, a green room for the bands and cool rock star outfits will be some of the other things they will enjoy as they learn more skills on their musical instruments and make new friends.
Ages 5 and up welcome.
i. Camp 1: July 8-July 12. Showcase: Friday July 12 6pm.
ii. Camp 2: Aug 19-Aug 23. Showcase: Thursday August 22 6pm.
– Musical Theater Camp: Star in a musical this summer featuring scenes from your favorite musicals. These one week intensive workshop will enable all kids to shine as they learn to sing, act and dance using scenes and songs from favorite shows. Vocal instruction, acting and movement will all be provided as a part of this workshop. Their show will be performed at the end of the week complete with costumes for a large audience. Ages 5 and up are welcome.
i. Camp 1: July 8-July 12 Showcase: Friday July 12 6pm.
ii. Camp 2: Aug 19-Aug 23. Showcase: Thursday August 22 6pm.
– Summer Musical Theater Production: Rock of Ages Middle School Edition: Elementary, middle and high school students can star in this amazing musical theater production featuring everyone’s favorite songs from the 1980s. Rehearsals are in the evening and there will be 2 performances. This is a great opportunity for people who are in day camps but want to make musical theater a part of their summer and can’t wait to dress 80s. Roles are cast at the first rehearsals. Rehearsal schedules are distributed and we can work with summer conflicts like camps and vacations.
– Star in the Musical Cinderella Kids: August 19-23 9am-3pm. Spend the week rehearsing and then starring in this classic musical.
All ages welcome.
- WHERE: Mike Risko Music School, 144 Croton Ave, Ossining
- MORE INFO: MikeRiskoMusicSchool.com/summercamps.html
5. Town of Ossining Summer Camp
- Ossining Recreation & Parks offers a six week Summer Day Camp for children ages 3-14 years of age. All camps are permitted and inspected by the Westchester County Health Department. Camps provide a variety of fun activities including arts and crafts, sports, swimming, special events and entertainment.
– Pre-K Camp hours are 9:00am – 1:00pm;
– K and 1st grade Camp hours are 9:00am – 3:00pm;
– 2nd – 5th grade Camps ( Ryder and Claremont) are 9:00am – 3:00pm;
– Vets Park Camp hours are 9:00am – 3:00pm.
- WHEN: Camp runs Monday through Friday from July 1st until August 9th
- WHERE: Different locations
- MORE INFO: Community Pass Website
6. Ossining Children’s Center:
- WHAT: Summer Camp for Preschool- and School-Age Children: When school is out for summer, all of OCC programs transform into camp with swimming, sports, arts and crafts, drama, and recreational field trips.
– Summertime fun for toddlers and preschoolers: Toddlers and preschoolers enjoy reading, singing, outdoor play, water play, and healthy meals and snacks. Almost every day features an event-to-remember, such as: Author days, Carnival day, International day with booths, flags, a parade and food from different countries, Riverfront barbecue, Visit to Muscoot Farm & “Swimming” at the local private lake
– Authentic, traditional camp activities for school-age campers: Their daily roundup includes sports, cooking, art and crafts, science, outdoor play, and more. To give camp that special dose of summertime fun, campers also enjoy: Swimming lessons and free swim at Briarcliff Manor’s Law Park Pool, Field trips such as bowling, Quassy Amusement Park, Norwalk Maritime Aquarium, and more.
Special event days like Halloween in July, “Decades Day (dress up in clothes from the 1960’s, 70’s, 80’s etc),”, Counselors vs. Campers sports day, Wacky Hair Day, and more
- WHEN: Camp runs Monday through Friday from the first day to the last day of the Ossining Public Schools’ summer vacation, 7:00am to 6:00pm
- WHERE: Ossining Children’s Center in Ossining.
- MORE INFO: OssiningChildrensCenter.org/Summer-Camp
7. Logrea Dance Academy:
- Whether you want to explore ballet as a new experience or would like to improve your technique and maintain your skills, Logrea Dance Academy’s Summer Intensive can help you achieve your goals.
Students can register for any number of classes per week within their placement levels.
- WHEN: The Summer Intensive runs from July 8th- August 3rd.
- WHERE: 2 Dale Ave, Ossining
- MORE INFO: Newsite.logreainfo.com/summer-intensive.html
8. St Ann’s Peas and Karrots:
- The Peas and Karrots Summer Child Care Program is an exciting and educational summer session for children ages 3-8. All of the children enjoy nutritious snacks, lunch, help with homework, academic enrichment lessons, reading groups, plenty of group sports, outdoor play and educational activities. Weekdays 7:00am – 6:00pm
Their most important goal is helping children have fun while they learn.
- WHEN: Classes run from June 23rd to August 29th
- WHERE: 16 Elizabeth Street, Ossining
- MORE INFO: Peaskarrots.com/Summer-Program.html
9. Briarcliff Nursery School:
- For 2019, BNS is offering two different programs
– Summer Camp program: Takes place on the two-acre school grounds. It provides a balance of activites including, but not limited to: nature projects/experiences, story time, music, creative movement, water and sand play, and crafts. Summer at Briarcliff Nursery School allows students to stretch their minds and bodies while enjoying and exploring the world around them. For ages 2-5.
The summer program runs Monday-Friday, 9:20am-12:15pm
– Toddler and Me program: BNS offers a Toddler & Me program designed to offer exploration in music, movement/rhythm, art, nursery rhymes, finger plays, story time, snack time and outdoor water play for parents with toddlers. For ages 18 months to 2 years.
- WHEN: The Summer program runs from June 18th to August 3rd, The Toddler and Me Program runs from June 18th until August 1st.
- WHERE: 40 Morningside Drive, Ossining
- MORE INFO: BriarcliffNurserySchool.com/summer-program/
- Torview summer activities for 2019 include swimming lessons, swim/dive team and tennis clinics.
– Swimming Lessons: 30 minute group lessons, Monday to Friday, 5 weeks available. Weekend Saturday Lessons. This is the first year that Torview offers swimming classes for non-members.
– Swim and dive team: The schedule is TBD
– Tennis Clinic: 90 minute lessons are scheduled for 5 weeks in July, Monday to Friday 12:30 until 2:30.
- WHERE: Torview, 25 Stormytown Rd, Ossining
- AGES: all ages
- MORE INFO: Swimming Lessons, Swim and Dive Team, Tennis Clinic
11. Youth Music Program
- The Youth Music Program at St. Paul’s in Ossining began in the Summer of 2010 with the mission to spread love and talent to children, and now continues year round under the direction of Carolyn Black, St. Paul’s Music Director and former Ossining High School teacher, and Art Hightower, a professional drummer and parishioner. The Youth Music Program provides lessons in singing, rudimental and hand drumming and guitar, and instruction in how to practice, how to audition and in etiquette for performance – plus snacks and supervised play. The Youth Music Program is open to young people (ages 4-17) and is for the benefit of children from the community at large, regardless of their religious backgrounds. It does not include religious content.
- WHEN: Monday through Friday, 6-8 pm
Two one week sessions in July
i. July: TBD
ii. July: TBD
- WHERE: St. Paul’s Parish Hall, 40 Ganung Dr, Ossining
- AGES: 4-17
- MORE INFO: StPaulsOnTheHill.org/music/youth-music/
12. ST. AUGUSTINE SUMMER CAMP
- St. Augustine Camp is committed to providing campers with a fun, safe & positive environment for children entering PreK, Kindergarten, Grade 1 & Grade 2 in September.
Their daily schedule will include story me, crafts, organized sports, free play, water activities & much more! With weekly themes…every day is guaranteed to be fun and exciting for campers!
- WHEN: July 8th through August 2nd
9:00am – 2:45pm. Campers are asked to bring their own lunch and snack.
i. Week 1: July 8- July 12
ii. Week 2: July 15- July 19
iii. Week 3: July 22 – July 26
iv. Week 4: July 29 – August 2nd
- WHERE: St. Augustine School, 381 N Highland Ave, Ossining
- MORE INFO: Here
13. Shattemuc sailing academy
- A Summer Sailing Experience!. Full days of fun, sailing instruction, and boating safety. Sailing day is 9am – 3:30pm; lunch and swimming in the middle. Lifeguards at our pool at all times. Ages: 9-16
- WHEN: July 1st through August 23rd
i. Session 1: July 1 – July 26
ii. Session2: July 29 – August 23
iii. 2-week Clinics available
- WHERE: 46 Westerly Road, Ossining (next to The Boathouse Restaurant)
14. Steffi Nossen’s camps at Bethany Arts community
- This is a great opportunity to build communication skills and self-assurance while exploring their creativity in a small intimate group setting. Steffi Nossen offers two camps in Ossining.
– Steffi Nossen’s Dance Camp: A Summer Experience not to be missed! Steffi Nossen’s Dance Camp offers technique classes in Modern, Ballet, Jazz, Hip-Hop, and Musical Theater.
Dancers will also learn Dance History and Composition, choreographing their own dances working in a small intimate group, building communication skills and self-assurance. A Summer Camp Experience you do not want your child to miss! Showing on the last Friday showcasing all of their work throughout the camp. No previous experience required. Rising Grades 1st-5th.
i. Week 1: July 29th- August 2nd
ii. Week 2: August 5th – 9th
– Story Book Camp: Join Steffi Nossen School of Dance for a morning of movement, music and art with a different children’s story as the theme each week.
Create dances to stories such as “Sleeping Beauty” and “Peter and the Wolf”, play instruments, build arts & crafts based on the story of the week, sing songs and more. Classes focus on basic movement fundamentals, developing dancer’s fine and gross motor skills and musicality, while they learn about shapes, levels and dynamics.
Showing on Friday to showcase all your young artist has learned throughout the week.
i. Week 1: July 29th – August 2nd | Story: Harold & the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson
ii. Week 2: August 5th – 9th | Story: The Museum by Susan Verde
- WHERE: Bethany Arts Community
- MORE INFO: Dance Camp / Story Book Camp
Are we missing something?
If you host or would like to recommend a 2019 summer camp or program (only those located in the Town of Ossining), please send us the info (What, When, Where, Ages and your website) and we’ll gladly add it to this list. You can comment below.
Thanks and enjoy these great summer activities!
Summer Entrepreneurship Workshops for 11-14 year olds more info call 914-873-4900
Where is this workshop? Please send me more info so I can add your program to our article.
A Summer Sailing Experience!
Shattemuc Sailing Academy – celebrating 50 years. Full days of fun, sailing instruction, and boating safety.
Sailing day is 9am – 3:30pm; lunch and swimming in the middle. Lifeguards at our pool at all times.
Session 1: July 1 – July 26
Session2: July 29 – August 23
2-week Clinics available
Where: 46 Westerly Road, Ossining (next to The Boathouse Restaurant)
Thanks for the info!
Also Scarborough Presbyterian Children’s Center has a great camp for pre-schoolers! https://scarboroughchurch.net/about/spc-center